These terms and conditions govern the Wakefield And District Astronomy Society Photography Competition 2023. The competition organisers are Wakefield And District Astronomy Society (WADAS). By accepting the Terms & Conditions of the competition and subsequently submitting your images, you have entered into an agreement with WADAS.
The organisers reserve the right to modify these terms and conditions without notice.
You agree that if you are a winner or commended photographer you will take part in and cooperate fully with reasonable publicity and to the use of your name and photograph in such publicity, for example, the publication of photograph(s) with your name in the Wakefield Express.
By entering the competition, you agree to the provisions of these terms and conditions and to comply fully with them.
The competition is open to anyone except those directly involved with the competition and judging (including their families and relatives).
If you are under the age of 18 you must have permission to enter from your parent or guardian. By submitting an entry for the competition, your parent/carer/guardian is deemed to have given such consent and to agree to the use of the entry as described in these terms and conditions.
The closing date for submissions is 31 October 2023. All submissions received after this time will not be eligible. Please note that sending is not proof of receipt.
The Organisers cannot be held responsible for emails that do not arrive due to the entrant’s email security settings or restrictions placed by their Internet service provider.
Your entry must be submitted digitally via the process outlined on our webpage: Photography Competition 2023 | WADAS. No other forms of entry will be accepted.
By submitting images to WADAS Photography Competition, each entrant confirms and warrants that:
- they are the sole author of each entry and that it is their original work;
- they own the copyright and any other intellectual property rights of each image;
- they have the permission of anyone pictured in the image (or, where the image shows any persons under 18, the consent of their parent/guardian) for the usage rights required by WADAS and will indemnify WADAS against any claims made by any third parties in respect of such infringement;
- they have not licensed or disposed of any rights in the image that would conflict with uses to be made by WADAS;
- they have received any necessary permissions from the owner(s) of objects including buildings included in submitted images for the usage rights required by WADAS and will indemnify WADAS against any claims made by any third parties in respect of such infringement.
- WADAS have permission to use the imagery provided across their marketing channels as long as full credit is given to the image owner.
- If you are a winner or commended photographer you will take part in and cooperate fully with reasonable publicity and to the use of your name and photograph in such publicity, for example, the publication of photograph(s) with your name in the Wakefield Express.
What to enter
- Photographs must be a minimum 4MB – maximum 15MB file. Entries must not have been a ‘winner’ in any other photographic competition.
- A maximum of three entries may be entered per applicant and you may distribute these amongst the categories however you wish. No single image may be entered into more than one of the categories.
- An image will be rejected if it appears to have been taken in such a way that law may have been breached or it has been otherwise taken in an irresponsible way.
- All images should be taken within the Wakefield/5 Towns area, with details of location included in the submission.
- WADAS reserves the right to remove or refuse any entries from the competition for any reason.
A panel of Judges will select images based upon technical skill, diversity, originality and creativity of composition. Judging will be made up of selected WADAS members. Judges will assess entries to establish category winners and commended photographers, and collectively agree on the overall competition winner. The organisers will select judges from a wide interest pool to ensure objectivity is maintained.
Digital adjustments are acceptable; however, the way in which any digital enhancement or editing has been used will be taken into account when judging the entry. Cropping is allowed.
The decision of the organisers is final and no correspondence will be entered into concerning the competition’s judging and organisation. The organisers may also share short-listed photographs across their social media channels and ask followers to vote on their favourite to help aid the judge’s decisions.
Announcement of winners
Judges will choose the winner and commended photographers from each category. All winning images will be displayed in an online gallery.
The overall winners will be announced in October.
By entering the competition, you grant WADAS a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence to reproduce, enlarge, publish or exhibit, on any media, the images for any purpose to further its aims and objectives. This could include but is not limited to use:
- At presentation events, including exhibiting the images in and around Wakefield.
- On the WADAS website, WADAS social media channels and WADAS email communications.
- In the Wakefield Express and associated printed and digital publications.
- In the press for the purposes of publicising this photography competition and the promotion of WADAS.
- As part of digital advertising creatives when promoting WADAS
- The organisers will make every reasonable effort to ensure that name credits are given to any photograph published in any medium.
Indemnity and Limitation of Liability
To the maximum extent permitted by law, WADAS excludes its liability for any loss, damage, injury, cost or expense suffered by you, whether directly or indirectly and howsoever caused, in connection with the competition and use of any prize. Nothing in these terms and conditions shall exclude WADAS’ liability for death or personal injury arising from WADAS’ own negligence or any other liability that cannot, as a matter of law, be excluded.
You agree to indemnify WADAS and keep WADAS indemnified against any loss, damage, injury, cost or expense suffered by WADAS as a result of your entry in the competition, including (but not limited to) any claim of infringement of intellectual property rights made by any third party.
The information given in these Terms & Conditions is correct, but WADAS reserves the right to change any of it without prior notice. By entering the competition, entrants will be deemed to have agreed to be bound by these Terms & Conditions. Any breach of these Terms by an entrant will void their entry. If a breach has occurred but is discovered after the award of a prize, then the organisers may require the return of that prize.
You agree that if you are a winner or commended photographer you will take part in and cooperate fully with reasonable publicity and to the use of your name and photograph in such publicity, for example, the publication of photograph(s) with your name in Wakefield Express.
These Terms and Conditions shall be governed and construed in accordance with English Law and will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
Prize Terms and Conditions
There will be one winner for each category announced by WADAS in December. Each winner will receive free one years membership to WADAS and your photography will be featured in Wakefield Express.
The competition prize comprises of one free family membership for each winner.
The prize is as stated and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
WADAS will contact the winner directly by email to organise the prize and agree preferred dates. Return of any prize notification as undeliverable or failure to reply as specified in the notification (and within the time stated) may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. All entrants must be able to transport themselves to the safari location.
If the winner books a date and has to cancel within 14 days, no new dates can be offered.
The Organiser reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the Organiser’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the Organiser.
The competition and these terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. You and the Promoter irrevocably agree that the courts of England shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any claim or matter or to settle any dispute which may arise out of or in connection with these Terms & Conditions and that accordingly any proceedings may be brought in such courts.